Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cleanliness is next to ...

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised by most of the prices I've encountered.

Even with the dollar on life support, grocery store food and public transportation are cheaper here than in New York. For example, duck breasts are about half the price per pound here, and a ride on the subway costs just $1.60 if you buy a discounted packet of 10 tickets.

Restaurant meals look expensive, but at around 30 euros, or $45, they are actually quite comparable to meals of similar quality in New York once you remember that tax and tip are included in the price here.

I'm sure gasoline is far more expensive but I haven't actually seen a gas station yet since I live in the city center where there are none.

And then there's dry cleaning.

The range seems to be from 5 to 10 euros -- that's $7.50 to $15 -- to dry-clean a shirt.

One shirt.

My boss told me he just spent 93 euros to dryclean a few shirts, a suit and a tie. He is thinking of taking up ironing.

And this, in a city that prides itself on being a capital of fashion ... ?

No comments: