Sunday, January 25, 2009

Long Eat the King (UPDATED)

Epiphany, or what we call Twelfth Night or Three Kings (Jan. 6), is a significant holiday in France. It's celebrated by baking and eating special buttery cakes called "galettes des rois," or "cakes of the kings." Inside each cake is a little toy or token; whoever gets the token is the king for the day.

Because I came back to Paris on Jan. 7 I thought I had missed them, but there are some still around:


UPDATED 1/25 to add: We got another galette to eat on the way to Avignon and this one had a prize, so Joey was king for a day:

2 comments:

David Lao and Pei Chang said...

Whenever I read things like this, I always end up thinking of Robocop and the commercial that goes "It's good to be the king." Just thought I'd pass that random thought along.

NewYorkJo said...

As you see, I was not too pleased to bite into a plastic toy! But I still kept it because it was cute and different.