Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Random thoughts

Two random thoughts from a shopping trip at lunchtime today:

Not only haven't I seen any creches or Santa Clauses this year, I haven't heard any Christmas carols. Until now, when a French translation of "Jingle Bells" was playing in the big supermarket near my office. And you know what? I haven't missed them.

Also, the French are rather proud of their different approach to the whole subject of liability law. Unlike in America, you don't have to plan everything you do with one eye on the lawyers. Which probably explains why the outside entrance to the supermarket is a smooth marble tile that gets extremely slippery in the rain. I hate to think of how many old ladies have slipped and fallen on it. Lawyers or the fear of them would have put a stop to that in America long ago.

No comments: