Saturday, November 15, 2008

What Is "Manana" In French?

Leisurely service is a good thing in restaurants; there is nothing worse than being hustled to finish a good meal quickly (except, maybe, a bad meal).

Elsewhere, not so much.

And while the French tend to operate reasonably efficiently when you're standing in front of them -- walk into a store and you will be waited on promptly -- behind the scenes, it's another story.

You may remember that I needed to call the cable guy when I moved in because the Internet wasn't working. He came in mid-September, fixed a broken wire in the jack, and in passing noted that the set-top box was old and offered to get me a new one. It would be ready in a few weeks and the company would e-mail me directions on where to pick it up.

A "few" in French apparently means seven or eight, as I just got the thing today.

And it's even worse when the government is involved. I applied for my work visa in June, came here to live full-time in August and was told just yesterday that the visa is now ready for me to pick up -- at the French consulate in New York.

At least it will make a nice souvenir.

No comments: